Children’s Technology Use During the Pandemic: From Forbidden Fruit to Fast Food
- Prof. Dr. Hanna Krasnova (Universität Potsdam)
- Prof. Dr. Ofir Turel (University of Melbourne)
- Dr. Jenny Radesky (University of Michigan Medical School)
- Prof. Monideepa Tarafdar (University of Massachusetts Amherst)
Organization & moderation
- Dr. Antonia Köster (Universität Potsdam)
- Jana Teitscheid (Universität Potsdam)
The field of Information systems has not yet addressed children’s use of technology. In the past, access to and availability of digital devices to children were limited. Especially since the Corona pandemic, children’s technology use has increased sharply. A recent study found that children’s non-educational screen time has doubled. The surge in screen time is a continuation of a general trend and is likely to persist in the post-pandemic era. In this respect, children have become a significant user group of technology and are the focus of the panel.
Considering the increasing access to and use of technologies by children, the question arises what information systems could contribute to foster and support this new user group. The panel will bring together international researchers who analyze children’s technology use from the perspective of information systems and child development.